Letters to the Bouncy Banker...

Letters to the Bouncy Banker...
...from a struggling artiste.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Letter to the Bank #42


Dear Mr. Bullrider (I believe that is the current bank manager’s name),
Last time I communicated with your fair institution I believe I was a little belligerent. I’m not apologizing, just letting you know that you needn’t steel yourself. This letter is different. This letter is a thoughtful letter.

I’m in a hole. Well I’m always in a hole but this time it’s different. There are piles of potatoes in the corner next to a homemade distillery, and a sharply dressed rabbit holding a gold fob watch is observing me. Go figure! It’s as if he is timing me, seeing how long I can stand it down here, how long before I head up for some fresh air. Well, as far as I’m concerned I am in it for the long haul, not by choice but of necessity. He’s going to have a long wait. I actually like it down here in the deep soil of our world, the rich, warm (surprisingly warm!) loam of life. It is dark but that is nothing a light bulb or two (the new spirally kind for sustainability) won’t fix. Would you do me the kindness of dropping down an electric extension? Honestly that would be more helpful than credit offers or money at this point. It’s just impractical for me to heave myself out of here right now. Besides I have a potentially lucrative bet on with the rabbit.

I can hear the traffic but it is muted. I can even hear the collective stomp of commuters heading for work, much like the distant sound of Burundi drummers. When you step outside the whole thing for a while, relax and sink into the sofa of the disenfranchised, drop through the bottom and observe from very deep down it helps the mind focus. The stars at night, framed by the manhole (dug by yours truly) are simply beautiful.

So all I ask for is some light at the bottom end of this tunnel I’m in.

Yours sincerely,

Kristian Witherkay

PS-It is a bit sadder during the daytime. From where I sit I can see a foreclosed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think...